Good oral hygiene is more essential now than ever, since many of us may need to delay our regular dental exams and cleanings. One important habit is flossing. Yet it’s one that many folks don’t do as often as they should. To get the benefits of flossing, you need to do it at least once a day. If you need help making it a habit, check out our 5 flossing tips.
Five Flossing Tips
- Experiment with floss. It’s easy to floss regularly if you like the floss you are using. There are lots of different ones on the market, even flavored ones. We recommend trying several to find the one that works best for you. For example, many people find waxed floss is simpler to use than unwaxed. For even more ease, look for flossing tools like picks or pre-threaded flossers.
- Put floss in your line of vision. Instead of keeping floss hidden in a drawer or cabinet, put it out where you can easily see it, maybe next to your toothbrush.
- Find a regular spot in your schedule for flossing. Make flossing a habit by establishing a routine. Do it at the same time every day, perhaps before brushing in the morning or right before turning in for the night.
- Look for opportunities to floss. Even with a regular routine, you may want to take advantage of opportunities to floss at other times. Keep extra floss in your car, your desk, and in a purse or a pocket. Then you can use it when the opportunity presents itself, such as when you are in a standstill in traffic.
- Ease into flossing. If you’re having difficulty getting started because it seems like too work, start by flossing a single tooth. Add a few teeth every day until you’re doing your entire mouth.
If you need help with your flossing technique or have any other questions about home dental care, ask us at your next appointment. If need to see a dentist in Johnson City, NY, call us today at 607-304-3993.