My dad was a dentist, and we come from a long line of dentists. My brother's a dentist. My sister is married to a dentist. We're from a long line of healthcare folks. And I kind of bucked it, initially. I really was heading towards medicine and I think I had the natural, oldest-son-pushback.
It kind of came easy and it was a natural and that's the way it went. I just kind of followed along in the family tradition.
I went to Boston College. I got my degree in Biochemistry and Economics. Loved Boston, and then went to Fairleigh Dickinson Dental School in Bergen County, New Jersey, which was terrific. Really, the best years, some of the best years of my life, really.
I ... kind of in the "nerd" category, I spent ten years working on head, neck, and facial pain. Got my fellowship in head, neck, and facial pain. That, kind of, impacted everything else because almost all my dentistry is impacted by understanding how people have head, neck, and facial pain and what the best dentists in the world were doing orthodontically, prosthetically, putting people back together.
I love what I do. I love the challenge and the technical aspects of it, and I love the social, people part of it.
After practicing for over three decades, Dr. Jerry Farrell remains passionate about dentistry for both adults and younger patients. Your comfort and happiness with your smile is why he continues his education to this day.
Dr. Farrell’s father and father-in-law were dentists, which inspired him to pursue his career helping others. After receiving his Doctor of Dental Medicine from Fairleigh Dickinson University in 1982, Dr. Farrell went on to start a private practice of his own. Over time, he has achieved the following:
- Fellowship, International College of Craniomandibular Orthopaedics (ICCMO)
- Certification, Invisalign orthodontic treatment
- Over 30 years of experience in:
Dr. Jerry Farrell on the most rewarding part of practicing dentistry
- Complex prosthodontics (C&B/RPD/FD)
- Endodontics and rotary endodontics
- Head, neck, and facial pain
- Neuromuscular dentistry
- Providing implant prosthetics since 1991
- Endosseous implants and complex oral grafting since 2005
- Began Farrell Dental Arts, Johnson City, NY (C&B Porcelain Lab)
- Volunteered to overseas dental/medical health missions in Puerto Montt, Chile and Pichilemu, Chile
- Founded the nonprofit Smiles without Borders program to provide dental services for the needy and less fortunate
- Has begun acquiring assets for five military-grade mobile operatories to provide dental teams and equipment in needy populations, including in-home treatments
The most rewarding part of practicing dentistry, for me, is having a challenging situation and building that early rapport and trust and start putting a plan together and it works. That whole process is fantastic. So, the dentistry is just kind of the vehicle to take good care of people and the beauty part, the technical part, all of the high-tech stuff that's come in with implants and Invisalign and ortho, and the opportunity to pull those things all out of your toolkit is fantastic—right up my alley.
While outside of the office, Dr. Farrell enjoys his time with his four children: Bryce, Maclaine, Sawyer, and Colby. Dr. Farrell is also a certified yoga teacher and the founder of Organic Yoga, located at the same building as our dentist office and co-owned with his daughter, Bryce. Dr. Farrell is also a certified drum circle teacher. He’s also passionate about reading, writing, flying (as a trained pilot), rollerblading, gardening, competitive shooting (IDPA/sporting clays), scuba diving, carpentry, and computer technology.